(12) Preliminary Task Evaluation

Evaluating 

What Went Well?
During the filming stage, numerous things went well. Firstly, the weather was calm and sunny, meaning it was a pleasant and convenient condition to work outside and protect our equipment from dampness or even overly direct sunlight. Furthermore, the heat and sunlight suited our romantic theme as sunlit footage will create a happy and romantic (as well as aesthetically pleasing) tone. Another thing that went well was how well-behaved the dogs were on set, meaning we didn't have to worry about supervising them as well as carrying all of the equipment.

What Didn't Go Well?
The main issue we found was organisation. This was in many forms: first of all, it was difficult to schedule a date and location that was easily accessible to our entire group. For example, not everybody in our group lived in Wymondham, making getting there difficult. Moreover, the task was set shortly before our exam period, so it was during a busy and stressful time for us all. This made organising a date even harder, as a lot of us would have been occupied with revision etc.

Once we finally met at the location, we realised we hadn't formed an efficient and thorough plan because of how short notice everything was. As a consequence of this, we spent an awful lot of time deciding what exactly we were to film on that day and ended up wasting a lot of time that we could have dedicated to filming. It also made our idea a bit all-over-the-place and led us to hugely change the concept. Because of this mistake, however, we have now agreed to spend more time on planning prior to filming in the future. We will ensure all our decisions are made before filming so that we know exactly what it is we need to do on the day and spend more time to perfecting the look of the video.

Are You Looking to Develop On This Idea For Your Coursework?
For my actual coursework, I don't intend to remotely develop on this idea. This is because firstly, I don't think the basic premise of the video is original enough, even with development. I wish to create something never-seen-before and I don't think a video about a relationship that's good, then ends, then reforms is going to cover this. Furthermore, having centred my AS coursework around the use of a dog, I don't particularly want to involve dogs in my coursework again, as they're unreliable and difficult to work with. Not only this, but I feel that, again, it would make my film less original if I choose to incorporate dogs again, especially when originality is an aspect I want to prioritise.

Another reason I definitely won't develop on this idea is that I want my project to leave a more profound impact on the audience: I want it to have a moral framework. I don't think a story about a couple, as entertaining as it may be, is going to do this very well, especially when it's been explored a thousand times before. This is because it's a far too domestic idea and therefore doesn't serve as a metaphor very well.

Lastly, I'm intending to create a short film, meaning that any story I create is going to have to be far more developed and thorough than this. Although I can transfer elements from this to a short film, I would much prefer to start from scratch and create something best suited to a short film than a music video.

Were You Brave Enough? Creative Enough? Original Enough?
Although our end result was relatively mediocre, I feel that considering it was our first time at producing something as advanced as a music video ever, it wasn't a bad attempt and for that, I'd say we were successful. However, because of our terrible organisation skills, our story became jumbled and lost its way throughout the process, leaving our end product to be quite unoriginal. This is because we copped-out and opted for the easier route, abandoning our first idea which, although harder practically-speaking, was much more original and entertaining. So yes, we could have been a little more original. This being said, looking back on our stimulus of 'the boy who cried wolf', our idea did dramatically expand from this tale, becoming entirely unrecognisable from it. This means that we did develop so far from this idea that it makes it very original and creative in contrast to it, however, in contrast to most stories, it was particularly unoriginal.

Furthermore, in terms of how we executed it, it was not very creative. We didn't add any flare to make it unique and interesting to watch, such as the use of creative narrative/writing, editing and camera techniques, making it quite dull.

In terms of being brave, I don't think we were brave at all. For a start, we deserted our harder idea for something easier but of lower quality. Moreover, we were very closed-minded when coming up with ideas in the first place, such as looking for the type of music to use or not straying away from the idea of a dog. Similarly, we were very set on not using conventional music video practices that, in my opinion, would have made the video more interesting. For example, we refused to use any element of performance, which would have made the product more professional. Furthermore, if we had used loads and loads of different techniques and conventions, it would made our decision as to whether to include them in our actual coursework easier as we had tried and tested them. Now, we have no way of knowing because we weren't brave enough to use them. We lost our only chance to test them because we were too stuck in our own ideas and I think this will detriment us in our coursework when choosing what techniques would work best for the real thing. Also, I would have quite liked to test all of these techniques personally, as I won't get a chance to use any of them because I want to create a short film, meaning I won't get another chance to create a fun/experimental music video.

Overall, I feel that we could have been more creative. This being said, it was fun to make and our end product is ok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Endings & Cyclical Structures

The Power of Subtext

(53) Evaluation Q.1